Saturday, December 6, 2014

Chapter 101


For the first time in his life, Jon knew what he wanted.....and didn't rush into getting it. This wasn't going to be some impulsive 'let's get hitched' deal like his first wedding. This one was going to take some planning. There were just too many people affected to do otherwise.

When Stephanie wandered into the living room where he was sitting contemplating his next move, he realized that before he even thought about proposing to Brianna there were others he needed to discuss it with first. "Where's Jesse?"

"In his room I think."

He walked into the foyer and looked up the stairs. "Jesse! Will you come down here please?"

When he appeared at the top of the stairs, Jesse frowned down at his father. "What?"

"Just come down here for a minute." He waited for Jesse to join him and gestured towards the living room. "I need to talk to you and your sister."

The siblings exchanged a look, trying to think of what they might have done wrong.

"What about?" Stephanie asked.

"Bri."

"Is something wrong?"

"Is she okay?"

"Is she hurt?"

"Is she......sick?"

That last question had Jon rushing to reassure them. "Nothing's wrong. She's fine." He rubbed his hands on his jean covered thighs. "You guys said you were okay with her moving in, right?"

"Yeah." Jesse eyed his father warily.

"Has she agreed?" Stephanie sat forward eagerly.

"Not yet." Jon admitted. "But I've been thinking........maybe something more permanent would be better. For all of us."

"What do you mean?" Stephanie frowned in confusion.

"Well......what would you think of Bri and I getting married?"

The silence was deafening.

Jon's heart sank into his stomach. "You don't like that idea?"

Jesse shrugged.

Stephanie's frown deepened.

"Come on guys, talk to me. I thought you wanted her living here full time."

"Yeah, but I never thought about her taking Mom's place." Stephanie admitted.

"She wouldn't be taking Mom's place," Jon assured her, "no one will ever do that. Bri would just be continuing just like she has been - as your friend and someone to lend a hand or a shoulder when you need one."

"But she would be our stepmother."

"Yes."

"Would we have to call her 'Mom'?" Jesse wanted to know.

"No." Jon answered quickly, shaking his head.

"When would the wedding be?" Stephanie rubbed her hand on her jeans.

"I don't know. I haven't even asked her yet." Jon eyed his daughter. "What are you thinking Steph?"

She shrugged. "It just seems kinda fast. You never let on you were even thinking about getting married."

Jon considered for a moment. "Would you feel better if we got engaged......but didn't rush the wedding?"

Stephanie shrugged. "Maybe."

"Okay. Take some time and think about it."



After dinner, Stephanie helped her dad with Jake and Romeo's baths, then settled into her bedroom to read.....and think.

"So what do you think?" Jesse sauntered in and plopped down on the end of her bed.

Stephanie sighed and laid down her book. "I think that it's bound to happen sooner or later and we could do much worse than Bri."

"Then why did you act like you don't want them to get married?"

"Dad surprised me with it, that's all. I had accepted her moving in, but I hadn't even thought about them getting married." She looked down at her finger tracing the pattern in her sheets. "It just makes Mom being gone even more.....final."

Jesse nodded. "But this is what she wanted. She chose Brianna to look after us. I think we have to trust Mom's judgement on what's best for us." He paused and shrugged. "She's okay to have around.....and seems to make Dad happy."

"She does." Stephanie agreed. "And we know she loves us." She considered the prospect for another few moments, then nodded decisively. "Yeah, I think we have to go along with them getting married."

Jesse nodded as well. "At least then we'll know she'll be around for awhile."

Both of them knew all too well that 'permanently' might not be as long as anyone might like.



The next day, Jon sat in his office trying to gather the courage to make the call he knew he needed to make. It wasn't going to be pleasant, but he knew he had to do it. Now, while the kids were either at school or napping. He scrubbed his hands over his face. Man up and do what's right.

Taking a deep breath, he reached for the phone. "Linda hi. It's Jon."

"Hi! I want to thank you again for letting the kids come to the family get together. Donna was thrilled to see them."

"Of course. From what I hear, a good time was had all around."

"Good. I'm glad they enjoyed themselves too. So, what's up?"

"Well...I'm thinking about making some changes around here and I wanted you to hear about it from me."

"Does this have anything to do with Brianna?"

"Yes."

"Moving in or getting married?"

"Yes. If she agrees. I haven't asked her yet - to marry me that is. I asked her to move in but she hasn't given me an answer." He frowned. "How did you know?"

"You sounded all nervous, so I took a guess." She paused to swallow and blink back tears. "It's okay Jon. it's the right thing to do. It's what Dot wanted. For you to find love again. I wish you both much happiness."

"Thank you. I want to assure you - and your sisters - that whatever decision we make, you will always be part of the kids' lives. I'll make sure of it."

"We'd appreciate that."

"You're family. Always will be."

"Thank you."

Hanging up, Jon blew out a breath. Now I just need to figure out how to convince Bri that marrying me is the right thing to do."



An hour later, the gate buzzer announced the return of the kids from school.

"Dad?" Stephanie appeared in the doorway to his office a few minutes later.

"Hey sweetie, how was your day?"

"Fine. We got an math assignment on profit and loss and something called cost analysis. I'm not sure I understand some of it. Can you help me?"

"I could try, but you know who would be better?"

She frowned in thought for a moment, then grinned. "Bri?"

Jon nodded. "She has a lot of experience in business and finance."

"Okay, I'll ask her." She paused "About Bri...."

"What about her?"

"Well.....Jesse and I have been thinking....and talking. About you guys getting married."

Jon sat up straighter. "And have you come to a decision?"

Stephanie nodded and looked down at her hands in her lap. "I just have a question."

"Yeah?"

Sapphire eyes glinted at him through her lashes, a pose so much like her mother, his heart lurched. "Can I help pick out the ring?"


7 comments:

  1. wow! she sounds so mature ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tears on that last line in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Glad everyones Kool with them getting Married...but...ummm...wonder how Daddys gonna take it... Luv It!!!!...Cant wait for the wedding....Oh Hang on..Bri has to say Yes yet doesn't she...lol...Great Chapter & Story Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Bri will have a problem with it as long as the kids don't. it will be Daddy! Deep down she'll still want her Daddy's approval no matter what. That should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to park this sorry for a while so that I would have lots to read, but now I have caught up again. Love this story can't wait for more

    ReplyDelete