Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chapter 90


Weak morning sunshine streamed through the window, rousing Brianna from sleep. Yawning, she stretched and opened her eyes, disoriented at first with her surroundings. The shushing of the sheets behind her registered a split second before a strong arm slid over her waist and pulled her back against his hard chest.


"Mmmm." Jon sighed into her hair, then inhaled her lilac scent. He felt more relaxed than he had in months - and it wasn't just from the physical release he'd experienced the night before. It was more than that. It had more to do with the woman currently snuggled in his arms in his bed. 

She....made him feel whole again. He would always miss Dorothea and be forever grateful she'd been a part of his life, but she'd been right. It was okay - for him as well as the kids - to move on and try to be happy again. And she'd also been right about who the right woman was to move on with. Yes, after the holidays he needed to find a way to move Brianna into his house on a full time basis - and not in the bedroom across the hall! He suspected her biggest argument would be about the children's sensibilities. Maybe he should have a talk with Stephanie and Jesse and see what they thought,

Brianna stroked his arm idly while she gazed out the window and basked in her contentment. She could get used to waking up with him in this bed. She felt so safe and cared for in his arms - in his house. This family had become so much a part of her life, she couldn't imagine them not being there. She hoped she never had to.

"Mmmm. Morning." Jon nuzzled under her eat.

Turning in his arms, she smiled and kissed him. "Morning. Sleep well?"

"Mmmm hmmm. Better thank I have in a while. You?"

"Mmmm." She agreed, snuggling into his chest. "This bed is very comfortable."

"It is today." He stroked her hair and back.

"When will the kids be back?"

"Linda said she'd drop them off after lunch."

"So......we don't have to rush to get up."

"Nope. Our time is our own."

They lay in silence for a few minutes.

"Honey? Jon began hesitantly.

"Mmmmm?" Brianna felt cozy and lazy.

"What made you change your mind about coming here?" He hoped his question didn't start an argument, but his curiosity got the best of him.

Brianna sighed. "I didn't really change my mind. I always wanted to be here, I just had to find a way to do that without hurting my mother."

"And your father?"

She searched for words to explain her relationship with her father. "With Father it's not about his feelings, it's about his expectations. We were raised to always obey him, without question. As adults, we know that no longer applies, but it's a hard habit to break. None of us want to disappoint him. "She grimaced. "I've done that enough already."

"Because of me?"

She shook her head. "No. Because I couldn't make my marriage work."

"And that was all your fault?"

She shrugged. "According to Father, Alex was exactly the type of man I should marry, so if it didn't work, I must not have tried hard enough."

Jon fought down the urge to tell her exactly what he thought of her father - and then tell him, preferably with his fists! To have such little appreciation for this incredible woman - his own daughter - was just too mind boggling to understand. He hugged her close. "You know that's not true, right? You couldn't control Alex's actions. You weren't the one that cheated."

"But if I had been a good enough wife, he wouldn't have had to look for someone else."

"Stop it! From what you've told me, Alex had a history of 'looking for someone else'. Your only mistake was thinking anything you did could change that. There's a reason why they say 'once a cheater, always a cheater'." He lifted her chin until he could see her eyes. "You are an incredible, intelligent, beautiful,warm, giving, loving woman. Alex was a fool. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise."

Brianna's eyes filled and she smiled in gratitude. "Thank you."

He kissed her fiercely. "Don't thank me, believe me!"

She nodded. "Yes boss!" She grinned at his scowl. "Anyway, when I told Mom that you'd asked me to be here, she told me to come. As long as she got to see me at some point over the holidays it didn't matter to her what day."

"And your father?"

She toyed with a few strands of his chest hair. "For the first time in my life I didn't care what he thought. I put my wants above his."

"Good girl!"

Her hand slid up into his hair and raised her mouth to his. "Speaking of my wants...."

Jon grinned just before her lips captured his.

"WOOF! WOOF!"

Brianna broke the kiss. "I think Copper needs to go out."

"If it's not the kids, it's the damn dog!" Jon growled.

She laughed and looked at her watch. "Don't pout. We still have plenty of time."

Jon sighed, dropped a kiss on her lips and eased out of the bed. More and more he wanted a few days alone with her....and then move her in. He needed to start planning.



"Bianna!"

"Bina!"

Two small bodies hurtled into hers, almost taking her down to the floor. "Hi guys!" She looked up to see Linda shaking her head, but smiling indulgently at her nephews. "Hi Linda. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Brianna. Nice to see you." Linda rubbed a spot on her neck, raised a brow and grinned.

Brianna blushed and raised a hand to cover the hickey. She'd forgotten about the mark Jon had left on her neck until now.

Stephanie rolled her eyes and turned to her father. "Really? Do you think your seventeen again or something?"

Jon just grinned and shrugged.

"What?" Jesse had missed what they were talking about.

"Dad gave Brianna a hickey."

"Really?" He looked at Brianna, who sighed and moved her hand. His lips twitched, but he remained silent.

"What's a hickey?" Jake asked.

"Um.....it's a really hard kiss that leaves a mark." Brianna explained while Linda tried not to laugh.

"Oh." Jake thought about that for a moment. "Give me a hickey!"

Brianna grabbed him, buried her face in his neck and made gobbling noises until he shrieked.

"Me too! Me too!" Romeo tugged on her arm.

Releasing Jake, she grabbed his brother. "Okay 'me too'."

Linda watched them, a soft smile on her face. She glanced at Jon beside her. "They love her."

"Mmhmmm." He agreed.

"And she loves them."

"She does."

She nodded decisively. "It's good."

Brianna knelt down to help the boys take off their boots. "Did you guys have a good time at Aunt Linda's?"

"Uh huh."

She glanced around at the small mountain of gifts that had arrived with them. "Looks like you got spoiled!"

Jake just grinned.

Brianna stood and looked at the teenagers. "What about you two? How did you guys make out?"

Jesse gave her a thumbs up and a big grin. 

Stephanie rolled her eyes at him. "Yes, we were spoiled."

"So I guess you don't need anything tomorrow then." Jon commented with a straight face.

"Aw, Dad!" Jesse groaned.

"Way to go Jesse. Spoil it for the rest of us." Stephanie swatted his arm.

"That's too bad." Brianna looked sad. "I found some things I thought you'd really like too." She shrugged. "I guess I'll have to take them back."

"Bri!" Jesse pleaded.

She laughed and stepped closer to hug him. "We're just kidding."

"Whew!" Jesse wiped his brow.

Brianna ruffled his hair. "Linda do you want to come in? Have a drink? Jon made some egg nog and I've got some mulled cider heating."

"That sounds delicious, but I really need to get home. My husband's family is coming tomorrow and I still have tons to do. Can I take a rain check?"

"Anytime." Brianna assured her. "Did you guys remember to thank Aunt Linda?"

"Thanks Aunt Linda!"  All four children rushed to give her a hug.

"You're quite welcome. Have a great day tomorrow and I'll talk to you later."

"Bye!" They waved her off and turned back into the house.

"So....what are we going to have for dinner?”


6 comments:

  1. I agree Augh we want more. Got a Hickey hummmmmm. LOL Got caught like a bunch of randy teenagers. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great chapter, i hope bri agrees to move in with jon and the kids, even a great sexy morning after. hickey me please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man should have realized we are going to have to wait a week for Christmas day...

    I think Bri may just move in when asked.... But not into Jon's room ... She has so much respect for the whole family. I think she may want a ring first...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehehe...Brings back memories of trying to plan Private Time around kids...its not always easy...lol..So happy Bri is with Jon & the kids..would be so nice if we dint have to wait a whole week for the next chapter....Just saying......hehehehehe...hey...a girls gotta try doesnt she....Great chapter LIz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Teri.
    Time to go ring shopping Jon!

    ReplyDelete