Saturday, May 17, 2014

Chapter 72


It was unusually warm for September, so they set the tables and bar up outside on the patio. When the sun went down and the temperature dropped they could move inside. Brianna straightened from setting a tray of cut vegetables and dip on the table to feel arms slide around her waist.

"Hi Beautiful. You look good enough to eat." With her knee high boots, suede mini skirt and three-quarter sleeved shirt in a mixture of fall colours, she managed to look casual yet sexy as hell!

Brianna laughed and reached out for a carrot stick and held it up for him. "Thanks Lemma, but I think this will taste better."

"I doubt it." But he obediently bit into the vegetable. "Seriously though, the spread looks great." He lowered his voice. "Can you tell me why I'm getting the stink eye-in-training from the mistress of the house?"

Glancing over towards where Stephanie and Gabrielle were huddled on the other side of the patio, she had to admit his description of her expression was pretty accurate. She wasn't quite up to Jon's icy glare, but she was getting there. "I don't know."

David shrugged. "I'll find out from Gabi later."

Brianna snorted. "This is Stephanie we're talking about. I'm betting she'll tell you herself."

As if hearing her, Stephanie approached them. "Uncle Lemma, can I talk to you for a minute?"

If he wasn't so curious, he would have laughed at her stern tone. "Sure Pookie."

Biting her lip to stifle a smile at Stephanie's reaction to the childhood nickname, Brianna stepped aside. "I'm going to go see how Matt's doing at the bar."

Stephanie waited until Brianna was out of earshot before frowning at her 'uncle'. "You like Brianna don't you?"

"Yes. She's great." Seeing her expression, he frowned himself. "What's wrong? Don't you like her?"

"Yeah, I do. A lot."

"So what's the problem?"

"Are you dating her?"

"No."

"Do you want to?"

"Steph, what's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

She reached out to the vegetable tray while she debated whether to confide in him. She turned a carrot stick between her fingers. "Do you think Dad likes her? Enough to date her I mean."

David eyed her intently. "Where's this coming from Pook?"

Stephanie shrugged. "It's been almost a years since...... He doesn't do well alone and I know she wouldn't want him to be. So, if he's ready to start dating....." She shrugged again. "Brianna......fits. She knows us, we know her and we all get along. It makes sense. I'm just not sure if Daddy sees that."

"Well, if he doesn't we'll just have to help him see it."  He hugged her. "Are your brothers on board with this?"

She nodded. "Jesse and I talked about it and the squirts already love her."

Guess that makes it unanimous then. "I have a feeling everything's going to work out just fine."



Seeing Brianna approaching, Matt pulled out a bottle of white wine and poured a glass. "Need this? Everything looks great."

"Thanks." She picked up the glass and sipped while she surveyed the yard. Not many guests were here yet, mainly just the family. "Have you got everything you need?"

"I think so." He eyed her. "So, how are things going with you and Jon?"

"I was wondering that too." Carol put in as she joined them, taking the glass of wine her son held out to her. "Thanks."

Brianna looked back and forth between them, not sure what they were getting at. "Everything's fine. It's a little slow at the moment, but once word gets out that he's started accepting invitations I'm sure that'll change."

Matt chuckled and shook his head. "That's not what we're talking about."

"Then....what are you talking about?"

"We know you're dating, dear." Carol patted her arm. "Jon told us."

"He didn't tell me." Matt boasted. "Desiree and I figured it out ourselves."

"Oh." Brianna didn't know how to react.

Guessing her thoughts, Carol smiled. "We think it's great. Couldn't be happier."

Matt nodded. "Just don't let him walk all over you." He winked. "But I guess you've already shown him you won't be ignored haven't you? Did you like the flowers?"

"You know about that?" Brianna could feel her face burning.

"Uh huh. He asked Desiree how to fix it." He raised his glass in a toast. "Good for you."

Carol agreed. "Love him and help him, but don't lose yourself in his shadow."

"What's with the huddle? Should my ears be burning?" Jon asked as he walked up to the bar. 

"Just getting some tips on how to deal with you." Brianna answered.

He snorted. "Like you need any help." Taking the glass of wine his brother handed him, he slid his arm around Brianna's waist and squeezed her hip before letting go. At her warning frown and quick glance around, he smiled. "It's okay, they're not looking this way."

"Where's Dad?" Matt asked.

"Looking over the meat and grumbling because I didn't let him make pasta sauce." Jon answered. Both brothers rolled their eyes.



Half an hour later, Brianna was heading into the house and nearly ran into Tony, who was coming out. "Tony!"

"Hey Sunshine!" Tony hugged her. "You look great!"

"Thanks. I didn't know you were coming home."

"Are you kidding? I couldn't miss the kids' party." He grinned. "Is this your and Jon's coming out party too?"

"No!" She glanced around to make sure the kids weren't close enough to hear them. "This stays within the family - the adult members of it - until we're sure the kids are ready."

"Gotcha. I'll keep it to myself, don't worry. Just so you know, I think he made a great choice."

"Thank you." She hugged him again.

"Now that's the way to greet guests! Do I get a hug too Sweetness?" A voice came from the doorway.

Brianna turned towards the latest arrival and grinned. "Uncle Southside! Hi!" She stepped into his open arms.

"Come on Southside, quit blocking the doorway!"

"You ain't the Boss of me!" John Lyons retorted.

Brianna groaned. "That's bad." She turned to the couple standing behind them. "Hi Bruce, Patti. Glad you could make it."

"We wouldn't have missed it." Patti assured her.

"Nice spread." Bruce added.

"Help yourself. Jon's around here somewhere." Brianna glanced around, but couldn't spot him.

"Yeah, yeah. I'd rather talk to you than Sweetbutt any day." John insisted.

Brianna glanced at Patti in time to see the other woman roll her eyes and laughed.

"Bri! I need your help!" Stephanie stepped between Brianna and Southside. "Hi guys."

"What's the problem?" Brianna asked. Stephanie turned to show her the back of her head, revealing the unravelling reverse French braid. "Oh."

"Gabi wanted to see how you did it. We only undid a bit, but now I can't do it again. Can you fix it?"

"Yep." Noticing Patti watching, Brianna shifted a bit so she could see what she was doing.

"That's cool."

"Yep." Stephanie agreed. "Bri can do all kinds of cool things. We'd be lost without her. Especially Daddy."

Brianna looked at her, bemused. The others exchanged glances, their brows raised.


A little while later, Brianna paused by the table where Jon was sitting with David and Dorothea's sisters.

"Uh oh. LOOK OUT! INCOMING!"

"I got it!"

Brianna started to turn to see what the yelling was about when she was sideswiped by a pre-teen receiver. "Oof!" Her balance upset, she landed in Jon's lap.

His arms immediately came up to catch and hold her. "Are you okay?" When she nodded, he glared at his son. "Jesse..."

"I'm sorry! Really! I didn't mean to knock you over Bri. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine Jess." Brianna assured him, holding out her hand for him to grasp and pull her up.

Something about the satisfied smirk lurking around the boy's mouth had David rethinking the 'accident'. He'd been debating telling Jon that his kids were supportive of his relationship with Brianna.....but he was having too much fun watching the kids' efforts to push them together.



Jon manned the barbecue, Brianna, Carol and Desiree put out the salads, and soon they were all settling down to eat.

"Bianna! Hep me!"

Brianna looked up to see Jake trying to walk with a drink and a loaded down plate balanced precariously in his hands. "Hang on! I'm coming!" She managed to reach him before disaster struck and got him to a table. "Do you want me to cut your burger in half for you?"

He nodded. "Tank you."

"You're welcome buddy."

"Here Romeo, let Grandma help you." Carol scooped up some macaroni salad on a fork and held it out to the toddler.

"No!" Romeo shook his head vigorously. "Want Bina!"

Carol looked at Brianna who shrugged sheepishly and took the fork Carol held out to her.

When all the guests had loaded their plates, Jon put some meat on a plate - chicken for Brianna and steak for him - and took his seat beside her, unsurprised to see his favourite salads on the plate in front of him. "Thanks."


Later, after everyone had eaten their fill and the dishes had been cleared, they sat around the tables, visiting. Brianna was chatting with the Springsteens when Romeo came up and climbed into her lap, one small hand rubbing his eye.

"Tired little man?"

He nodded and leaned against her.

She rubbed his back and kissed the top of his head, missing the look Bruce and Patti exchanged.

"The kids all seem very comfortable with you." Patti noted.

"Yeah. They're great kids." Brianna replied.

"You love them." It wasn't a question.

Brianna answered anyway. "Yes, I do."

"Good. They deserve it."




After putting Jake and Romeo to bed, Brianna descended the stairs and headed for the patio door when a hand reached out and snaked around her waist, pulling her against a hard body.

"Jon! What are you doing?"

"What's it feel like I'm doing?" He nuzzled her neck.

She groaned. "We can't....Jon! You have guests outside."

"We have guests." He sighed and leaned back, one hand sliding down to stroke her bare leg below the hem of her skirt. "You're torturing me with this outfit."

"Really? Then I guess you don't want to see what's under it then." She sighed in mock disappointment and stepped towards the door. "Too bad. It's your favourite colour." Her throaty laughter drifted back as she stepped through the doorway.


Jon groaned and banged his head on the wall several times before taking a deep breath and following her.

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I've missed something - didn't realize it's been almost a year since the Mrs. passed away. I'm betting a bonus post could help clear up my confusion. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. great chapter, i'm guessing there's going to be a hot sexy night after everyone leaves, a bonus chapter would clear up how long she's been passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chapter Liz!
    Love how Steph and Jesse were "running interference"!
    Lemma needs to tell the love birds that they got "kid's seal of approval"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confused as to what exactly was in the macaroni salad. I bet a bonus chapter would clear that up...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice try you know that but she won't! I'll give you all credit thou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant wait for Jon & Bri to come clean to the kids & they are just gonna 'High Five' each other...the little ones wont even notice the change...& the rest of the family are gonna heave a huge sigh of relief...lol..awesome BBQ...great chapter as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well first of all I guess I should explain myself. I've been reading you're stories for more than a year but it's first time I'm commenting. I love the idea. Truth to be told it always makes me smile when I read about Bri driving Jon insane in public :-) . There is something sexy about it.
    I hope you won't mind me asking: have you ever consider writing story with Tico? I'm most definitely drummer girl and you have great style and imaganation. I would love to read something with him as main character written particularly by you ;).

    Keep it up!
    Irma

    ReplyDelete