Saturday, May 3, 2014

Chapter 70


Jon looked up from his plate, glanced around the table and let his gaze settle speculatively on his girlfriend and waited for her to look at him. "Do you have a bathing suit here?"

"No, why?" She'd left several items of clothing at the house over the last year, but she'd never brought a bathing suit.

"It's a hot, sunny day. I thought it might be nice to go to the beach this afternoon. We can stop in town and get you a suit."

"I appreciate the invitation, but I have a lot of work...." She didn't get a chance to finish.

"But if Dad's saying you can come to the beach with us, then it's okay for you to skip work." Jesse argued. 

"Oh please come Bri. I'm tired of being the only girl." Stephanie pleaded. "And I know this place in town that has the cutest suits!"

Knowing she was outnumbered and unable to resist the kids' pleading looks, Brianna had no choice but to give in gracefully. "Okay."

"Yay!" Jake slid off his chair.

"Where are you going?" Brianna asked him.

"Get my suit on and my beach toys!" He threw back over his shoulder as he ran for the stairs.

The others quickly followed.

Jon looked at the dish covered table. "Hey!"

"You go get ready and grab the towels and sunscreen, I'll clean up here." Brianna suggested.




She was putting the last of the glasses in the dishwasher when she felt hands slide around her waist from behind. The heat of his chest seeped through her shirt. She nudged him away. "Um, kids remember?"

"They're upstairs." He assured her, pulling her back into his arms and nuzzling her neck.

"Still....."

"DADDY! Where my boogie board?"

Jon sighed, squeezed her and stepped back. "It's in the garage. I'll get it."

Brianna chuckled. "I'll round them up and meet you at the car."



The boys stayed in the car while the girls went into the store in search of a bathing suit for Brianna. She was leaning towards a simple one piece, but Stephanie insisted she get a bikini.

"Oh, I don't think so Steph. My stomach's not flat enough and my butt's too big for a bikini."

"Bull. You've got a great body Bri, you should show it off." Stephanie argued.

"I'm not twenty anymore Steph. I'm not even thirty anymore!"

"So? You're really pretty."

"Thank you." Brianna hugged her.

"And if you wear that bikini, I'll bet that you'll have all of the men on the beach drooling." Steph added. "Good thing your boyfriend isn't here. He'd be really jealous!"

That idea held definite appeal for Brianna. A slight smile curved her lips as she grabbed the yellow bikini. "I'll take this one."

When Brianna had disappeared into the change room, Stephanie allowed her satisfied smile to emerge. "You're welcome Daddy."



Jon pulled into the parking area next to the public beach and they piled out. Brianna had her hands full with blanket, towels and Romeo while Jon herded the rest of them.

Stephanie picked out the spot and Brianna spread out the blanket. She looked up, surprised, when Jon set down a large cooler with a thump.

"Snacks." He answered her unspoken question.

"When did you manage that?" She didn't remember seeing it leave the house.

"While you girls were shopping. Gotta have snacks."

"Come on Daddy let's hit the waves." Jake had taken off his t-shirt and clutched his boogie board.

"Wait a minute there buddy." Brianna searched through bags until she found the waterproof sunscreen. "Let me put some sunscreen on you so you don't burn."

"Come here little man, I'll put some on you too." Stephanie snagged Romeo before he could take off.

"You guys too." Brianna tossed the bottle to Jesse.

Jon stripped off his shirt and tossed it to a corner of the blanket. He raised his arms above his head and stretched, flexing his muscles.

Stephanie noticed and rolled her eyes.

Brianna noticed and decided two could play that game. Wiping her hands on a towel, she removed her shorts, grasped the hem of her shirt and slowly lifted it over her head and off.

Jon watched the revealing of her body now covered only in two scraps of yellow material and felt the breath lock in his chest. "Jesus."

Stephanie heard his whispered curse and grinned.

"Daddy, come on!" Jake urged.

Jon cleared his throat. "Okay, I'm coming."

"Wait!" Brianna stopped him, waving the bottle of sunscreen. "Let me put some on your back first."

He was pretty sure letting her put her hands on him was not a good idea - it certainly wouldn't help the ache in his crotch - but he steeled himself and turned his back to her.

Squeezing lotion into her hand, she handed him the bottle. "Better do your front too." She looked out at the water while she spread sunscreen. "How cold do you think the water is?"

"Not cold enough." He muttered.

Brianna snickered quietly and ignored the glare he threw in her direction. "Did anyone bring a radio?"

"In the bag beside the cooler." Jesse pointed.

"Thanks." Brianna found it and searched for a clear station.

While the boys hit the water, Brianna and Stephanie stretched out on the blanket.

"Mmmm." Brianna sighed as her muscles relaxed in the heat. "This is nice."

"Mmmhmm." Stephanie agreed. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

Not sure how to respond - she didn't want to outright lie to the girl - Brianna avoided a straight answer. "I haven't had much time lately for a boyfriend."

"Because of us?"

"Because I've been busy working and making sure the people I care about are being taken care of and have everything they need." Brianna corrected her.

"Because of us." Stephanie repeated, this time making it a statement not a question. "Well, we're doing okay now. You should take time to find a boyfriend. Unless you don't want one. Do you want one?"

"Do you?" Brianna countered.

Stephanie considered for a moment. "Not right now. I had one....before Mom got sick. Then..." She shrugged. "I didn't have the time or energy for him. I still don't. I need to focus on myself and my family right now."

Brianna stared at her. "How old are you again?"

Stephanie's laugh turned into a squeal when a football landed at the edge of their blanket, kicking up sand in all directions. "Ew!"

"Pfft." Brianna spit sand and sat up, brushing futilely at her arms and stomach. The sand had stuck to her sweaty skin and sunscreen and wasn't going to come off easily.

"I'm sorry!"

Brianna looked up at the man bending to pick up the football. When he straightened, she guessed he was about her age, around six feet tall, blonde and very well built.

"My nephew doesn't quite have his distance control down yet." Noticing Brianna starting to get up, he held out his hand. "Let me help you."

"Thank you."

"Was anything damaged? Either you or your.....daughter....hurt?" It was Brianna's left hand that he held and his thumb stroked her bare ring finger.

"No, we're fine." She assured him, retrieving her hand. "Just a little sand. No harm done."

"Still, I feel bad. Let me take you out to dinner to apologize."

"Oh, that's not necessary...."

"I'd really like to. I'm Brad by the way."

"Uh..."

"Bianna! Stephie!" Jake ran up, dripping water, to grab Brianna's hand and tug. "Come swimming! Daddy says we can go to Umberto's after for dinner!"

"Yeah?" She glanced up. "Sorry Brad. I appreciate the invitation, but I already have a dinner date."

"So I see." He winked at Jake. "You're a lucky man."

"I know."

The adults laughed and Brad left with a wave.

"Come on Steph, let's wash this sand off."

"Who was that?" Jon asked when they joined him and the boys.

"I don't know. He and his nephew were throwing around a football and it hit the sand near us. He was making sure we weren't hurt." Brianna explained.

"He asked Brianna out." Stephanie added.

"Really?" Jon stiffened. "What did you say?"

"That I already had a dinner date. Jake invited me to Umberto's."

"Mmm." Jon ruffled Jake's hair. "Coming in the water?"

Brianna hid her smile and agreed.



Back at the house, they unloaded and took turns in the shower.

"You might as well stay here tonight." Jon suggested when the little ones were in bed. "You didn't get a chance to check out the boys' clothing situation before we left."

"Yeah. That's a good idea. And then Steph and I can go shopping."

"Great!" Steph agreed. "And I'm still waiting for the answer to my question."

Brianna had to think for a moment, then snorted. "I'll get back to you on that."

Jon kissed his daughter good night and watched her leave the room before turning his attention back to Brianna. "What was that all about?"

"She asked me if I wanted a boyfriend. I don't want to lie to her so I'm avoiding the question."

"Is that why you haven't answered my question either?"

"What question?"

"About when I'm going to meet your parents."

"Oh. Right. I still can't believe that you want to."

"I'm not saying I'm looking forward to it, but it's the right thing to do don't you think?"

"Yeah....I'll get back to you on that too." She picked up the TV remote and started surfing channels.

Jon snorted and settled back into the couch beside her.



5 comments:

  1. Another awesome day out with Jon, Bri & the kids...Was great to see the tiny lil beads of Envy on Jon when Brad asked Bri out to dinner...Wonder if Jon set Jake up to mention them having a Dinner Date or was that Jakes own idea to keep Bri with them ...lol..as usual Liz an awesome very realistic chapter...Its almost like being right there with themall...Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Bri, what's your answer?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes Bri, what's your answer? great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm so she's gonna stay the night. I wonder if Jon will behave himself or if he's gonna drag her off to the guest house or studio & have his wicked ways with her. Should be interesting. Love how Stefanie is all in Bri's business about having a boyfriend. Wonder how far her & Jesse will go to get them together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please give us a new chapter today

    ReplyDelete