Saturday, January 24, 2015

Chapter108


The middle of the next week found Brianna sitting in the office trying to get caught up on the work she'd let slide while she was unpacking. She booted up the computer and pulled up Jon's schedule to compare with the pile of invitations in front of her. A notation for the following week caught her eye. It wasn't one she recognized or had ever even seen before. 

"BIANNA! WE'RE HOME!"

Making a mental note to ask Jon about the mark in his schedule, she rose to greet the kids and get them an after school snack.

"Brianna can you help me with a school project?" Jesse asked as he set down his glass.

"If I can, what's it about?"

"We have to research one of the fifty poorest countries in the world. I got Liberia."

"Okay, how much have you got?"

He squirmed a little in his chair. "Not much."

Which she assumed meant he hadn't started yet. "Uh huh, and when is it due?"

"Monday." When she stared at him and crooked a brow, he squirmed a little more. "Dad says you're the queen of research, so we should have lots of time."

Stephanie snorted. "Kiss-a.....um butt."

"You're lucky I don't have much going on work wise next week." Brianna remarked.

Jon bit into a cookie and froze. Uh oh. He swallowed and braced himself. "Speaking of next week, the guys are coming in for a few days. We're going to hit the studio and see what we can put together." Noting the narrow amber glare directed at him, he raised a hand. "Before you gear up to tear a strip off me, I didn't tell you sooner because you were busy unpacking and organizing. There's nothing you need to do anyway."

"Uh huh." Brianna scoffed. Guess now I know what notation means. "Just make sure the studio is stocked and check the travel arrangements and arrange transportation from the airports." She ticked off items on her fingers. "And where is everyone staying? We'll need more food here as well. And have you talked to Obie?"

"The guys aren't helpless. They can make their own arrangements. Tico will stay at Lemma's, but we'll have to put up with Richie. And yes, I've talked to Obie. And Rew."

"Uncle Mookie's coming?" Jake asked.

"Yes." His father replied.

"Yay!"




Regardless of Jon's assurances, Brianna considered it her job to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be and had everything they needed.  The next day she got to work. First on her list was a call to Tico.

"Nina! How are you?"

"I'm good Teek. How are you?"

"I'm good. Guess I'm going to get to see you next week."

"That's why I'm calling. I wanted to make sure you were set for transportation and accommodation. Jon said you'd take care of it, but..."

"But the perfectionist in you just had to make sure." His amusement was clear.

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Nope. As Jon's assistant it's necessary. But you can check me off your list. Plane ticket's booked, Lemma's picking me up and I'm staying at his place. I'm all set."

"Okay. Good. Is there anything you need in the studio?"

Tico blinked, then grinned. "That's right. You haven't been through a studio session with us yet. The last one was done before you came on board. It seems like you've been a part of our merry little band for so long I forgot you're still a newbie about some things. I'll bring a supply of sticks. Rew will look after everything else." He paused. "Is Jon really ready to do another album, or is this just something to keep him occupied?"

"I think he's really ready to move on and get back to living again." She looked down at her engagement ring. "I have to believe he is or I'm in for a world of hurt."

Tic frowned. "What makes you say that?" What have you done amigo?

"The diamond ring on my finger."

It took a second for her words to sink in. "Wow! Really? Congratulations! I hope you're both very happy."

"Thanks."

"Sounds like he really is ready to move on. He takes marriage very seriously - despite rumours to the contrary. We'll have to celebrate next week."

"Looking forward to it. See you Monday."



Hanging up, she glanced at the clock, worked out the time difference and picked up the phone again. "Hi. Denise, it's Brianna."

"Hey stranger! How's life on the right coast?"

"Pretty quiet. But I understand that's going to change next week."

"Yep, and I'm looking forward to a few days of peace and quiet." Denise sighed in anticipation, then sobered. "How are Jon and the kids doing?"

"Good. They still have rough days now and then, but basically they're doing really well."

"I'm glad to hear that."

After a few more minutes of catching up, Brianna got to the main point of her call. "So, I was wondering about Richie's travel plans and whether I need to arrange to pick him up at the airport."

"No, I booked a car service. I figured you had enough on your plate already, without being closed in a car for a couple hours with my goofball boss."

Brianna laughed. "Thanks, I appreciate that."

"So are you staying in Red Bank for the duration of the session or will you just make trips as needed?"

"I'll be there for the duration." She paused. "I live there now."

"Live there as in you have your own room and no longer have your condo in New York or live there as in you're shacking up with Jon?" Richie had confirmed the tabloid stories that they were a couple, but she hadn't heard anything that would indicate they were that serious.

"Do you still call it shacking up if we're engaged?" Brianna wondered.

"Really?" Denise gasped. "That's fantastic! Congratulations!"

"Thanks."

"Have you set a date? Oh! Does Richie know?"

"Not unless Jon's told him, and no we haven't set a date yet. The kids need a little time to get used to the idea."

"Oh yeah, I suppose it might take them a bit." She grinned. "I won't tell Richie. It's so rare that I know anything before he does I'm going to enjoy taunting him a little."

"Have fun." Brianna snickered.

"What's so funny?" Jon asked from the doorway as she hung up.

"Did you tell Richie that we're engaged?"

"No. I'm not sure he'd believe it unless he could see the ring, and I didn't feel like arguing. I told Lemma though."

"Well Denise is going to taunt him without telling him, so he'll be chomping at the bit when he gets here."

Jon chuckled. "She's a brave girl. His paybacks are a bitch."




Brianna's prediction about Richie's mood was right on the mark. He barely managed a civil greeting before narrowing his eyes at his friends. "So what's the big secret and why am I being left in the dark?"

Jon frowned. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"No? Then why is my assistant smugly hinting that she knows something about you that I don't?" He grumbled. "And she won't tell me no matter how much I bribe, cajole or threaten her." He pinned Jon with a look. "Does your assistant keep secrets from you?"

"Probably,." Jon acknowledged. "But nothing serious."

Stifling a smile, Brianna kept her left hand in her pocket. "You must be hungry after your flight. Why don't you take your bags upstairs while I make you a snack?"

Richie picked up his suitcase and started up the stairs, grumbling every step of the way. As he passed the open door of the master bedroom, he glanced in. Three steps later, he stopped and backed up to take a closer look. "What the fuck?"

"Isn't it cool?" Stephanie had seen him pass her room and followed him.

"Hi Pook." He hugged her with one arm. "What's with this?" He gestured towards the room he no longer recognized.

"It's Bri's lair."

"Brianna's lair?" His brows rose. "Has she moved in then?"

"Well, yeah. They're engaged after all."

"Oh, right. Wait! What? Engaged? Since when?"

"Dad's birthday."

So that's what Denise was smirking about! Dropping his bag in his room, he stomped downstairs to confront the couple. He found them in the kitchen where Brianna was making him a sandwich. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"About what?" Brianna asked.

"Don't play Miss Innocent with me!" He reached out to snag her left hand and lift it, watching the diamond sparkle in the light. "This!"

"Oh."

"Oh. Oh, she says." Richie snorted. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

Brianna shrugged. "It was more fun this way."

Richie growled and yanked her to him for a hug. "You're right. She is a brat!" He commented over her head to Jon. He held out his hand. "Congratulations man."


"Thanks." Jon shook his hand, only slightly surprised to feel himself being pulled into a group hug.

5 comments:

  1. Oh there is going to be Hell to pay for that one!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this was a fun chapter to read over Sunday Breaky...lol...& Im guessing the next ones gonna be the same...all the guys together...fun times ahead....great chapter Liz...luved it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great chapter! ! love that the guys will be there together I think Jon needs a little guy time to cut loose & they certainly know how to do that!

    ReplyDelete