Saturday, June 14, 2014

Chapter 76


Winter came early and hard to the eastern seaboard. Back to back storms dumped several feet of snow which the high winds wouldn't let settle. The result was that any unnecessary travel was dangerously foolish. This meant that Brianna was stuck in New York City while Jon was buried in Red Bank. They hadn't seen each other in over two weeks.

And that didn't make anyone happy.



"We need to do something. Our plan isn't going anywhere." Stephanie sat down beside her oldest brother on the couch. "Brianna hasn't been over in ages and this stupid weather is keeping Dad stuck here."

"And he's grouchy." Jesse acknowledged. "But what can we do?"

"I don't know. Maybe we should just tell him what we think and see what he says."

"Okay, I guess it's worth a shot."




"Daddy, when the snow going to stop?" Jake stood in his father's office, staring forlornly out the window at the swirling snow.

"I don't know, buddy," Not soon enough!

"I want to go out and play!"

"I know buddy, but it's too cold and windy." Jon tried to focus on the book on the desk in front of him.

"When Bianna coming back?"

"I don't know."

"I miss her."

"I know." So do I!

"She hasn't been here in a long time."

"I know." Do five year olds ever shut up? 

"I want her to come visit."

"I know." Jon raked a hand through his hair. Now he understood what Dorothea meant when she complained about the kids' nonstop talking driving her nuts.

"Do you think she might come this weekend?"

"I don't know Jake!" Jon snapped, his patience at an end. "Stop asking me!"

Eyes filling with tears, Jake bowed his head and turned from the window to leave the room.

Jon sighed. "I'm sorry buddy, I didn't mean to snap at you."

Jake just nodded and continued out of the room.

Closing his eyes, Jon leaned his head back on the chair. Great. Now he was making his kids cry. Fucking storm was causing damage everywhere.

The click of the door closing had him opening his eyes to see his oldest two children standing on the other side of the desk, their expressions somber. 

"Dad, we need to talk to you." Stephanie began.

Uh oh. This can't be good. "Sure. What's up?"

"Did you break up with your girlfriend?" Jesse blurted.

Jon's brows rose as his mind scrambled for a response. "What makes you think I have a girlfriend?"

"I heard Uncle Matt say something about it when you came home early one night a few months ago." Stephanie admitted.

"And you've been so grouchy lately, we wondered if you'd had a fight with her or broken up with her." Jesse added.

"I see." Jon stroked his jaw to hide his smile.

"And if you have broken up with her, then you need to find someone new." Stephanie continued.

Jon sat up straighter. "Really? You think I need a girlfriend?"

"Yes!" They said in unison.

Stephanie reached out to touch his hand. "Dad.....you're not happy." 

"And you think a girlfriend will make me happy?"

Jesse shrugged. "Can't hurt."

"And you're really okay with me dating again?" He wanted to be clear on that point.

"Yes." The siblings exchanged a look. 

"But we want to have a say in who it is." Stephanie qualified.

"Mmhmmm. And do you have someone in mind?"

The kids exchanged another look. "Brianna."

Jon sat back in his chair, stunned, praying he wasn't imagining this conversation. "You think I should date Bri?"

They nodded.

"She's smart and kind and caring. She gets you and your job and isn't after your fame or money." Stephanie explained.

"And she's hot!" Jesse added.

Stephanie rolled her eyes, but Jon smiled his agreement.

"Interesting. Well, let's see what she thinks of the idea." He picked up the phone.

"Hey handsome, I was just about to call you." Brianna answered. "Everything okay out there?"

"I think so. I just got a sign that even I can't miss. If you catch my drift."

Brianna sat up straighter in her chair and tightened her grip on her phone. "From the kids?"

"Mmmhmm. Steph and Jesse are here in my office. They say I've been grouchy and miserable lately, and they have a solution. Wait, I'll put you on speaker."

"So there's a way to make you less grumpy? I'd be interested in that! If it works."

"I'm glad you feel that way since it involves you." Jon grinned at his children.

"Me? How?"

"Well, they think I need a girlfriend.....and that it should be you."

It was more than she had ever hoped for, but she was surprised that kids had come up with this on their own. "Steph, Jesse, are you sure about this?"

"Yes." Jesse answered.

"You two are a perfect match." Stephanie explained their reasoning. "You get along and like each other. You already understand all about Dad's job. You're not some shallow bimbo interested only in his looks or his money or his fame."

"And you don't treat us as nuisances that take up Dad's time or tools to get to him." Jesse added.

"Do people do that?" Jon frowned.

"Sometimes."

"And you're sure you're okay with your Dad dating again?" Brianna pressed.

"It might be a little hard at first," Stephanie admitted. "But we want him to be happy. And we know you and like you. It wouldn't be like some stranger coming into our lives. And we know you like us. We wouldn't have to try and figure out if you truly cared or if it was a show for Dad."

All of that made sense, but it also made Brianna wonder if they really thought they'd be good together or whether they simply picked her because she was familiar to them. She also wasn't sure that it even mattered at this point.

"So what do you think Bri? Do you want to go steady?" Jon asked,

"Dad! That's so lame!" Stephanie groaned.

"That's okay Steph, I'm well aware of your father's tendency to be cheesy." Brianna assured her.

"Hey! I'm not that bad." Jon argued.

"Uh huh." Brianna and Steph replied in unison.

"Hmpf!" Jon grumbled.

"Cheesy isn't a reason not to be his girlfriend is it?" Jesse frowned, concerned that his dad had blown it already.

"Not for me." Brianna reassured him.

"So that means you will then?"

Jon knew he should probably be annoyed at his kids' interference, but he was too amused watching his son pimp for him...and he seemed to be doing pretty well.

"Well, I think maybe we should go on a few dates to start with and see how it goes." Brianna didn't think anything of discussing a possible relationship with the kids. If she was going to date Jon it meant dating the kids too. They were a package deal.

"That would probably be a good way to start." Jesse agreed.

"We'll work on that." Jon promised. "As soon as this crappy weather lets up."

"So how is everyone coping with being cooped up inside?" Brianna could only imagine being locked up with four restless kids.

"Dad made Jake cry today." Stephanie informed her.

"Jon!"

"I know, I know. I already apologized. He just kept asking me nonstop questions that I didn't have the answers for." Jon made the shape of a gun with his hand and shot his daughter. "Besides, the only thing that's going to make him happy is to see you."

Knowing that these kids - this family- cared so much about her sent a wave of warmth through her chest.  "Tell him I'll be out as soon as the weather clears enough to make it safe for me to drive."

He couldn't wait.



"Are you coming home for Thanksgiving?"

Brianna curled up on her couch and waited for her mother to get to the real reason she was calling. "I don't know yet Mom. It depends on the weather and what Jon needs from me."

"Lisa told me she and Michael met him."

"Yes. We were all at the same benefit."

"She also told me she got the feeling that there was more to your relationship than just work. Is she right?"

And there it was. "Yes."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because we were waiting for his kids' blessing."

"And you've got that now?"

"Yes. Turns out they think he's unhappy and needs a girlfriend and they want that girlfriend to be me."

"Well, that's in your favour." Sarah noted. "Bri......are you sure this is what you want?"

"I really like him Mom. I want to give it a try. See where it can go."

"Okay. When are we going to get to meet him?"

"I don't know. Maybe we can arrange something during the holidays."

"If you can talk him into it."

Bianna grinned. "Actually Mom, he's been bugging me to meet you."

Sarah was surprised. "And you've been putting him off? Why?"

"Because I want to make sure that this relationship is going somewhere first. Before...." She stopped.

Sara understood what she didn't say. "Before letting your father know and then having to deal with his reaction. Not to mention exposing Jon to his....beliefs."

"Something like that."

"Well, they're going to have to meet sooner or later. Best it be by your choice so that you have some control over the situation." Sara paused to let her words sink in. "Just something to think about."



Early the next morning Brianna showered and sat with a cup of coffee. The snow had finally stopped and the barely dawn sky gave hope the sun might make an appearance. She didn't really notice though, her thoughts consumed by her mother's words.

The buzzing of her phone pulled her attention back to her surroundings. She glanced at the clock and wondered who was calling her at seven o'clock in the morning. A peek at the display had a smile curving her lips. Someone was awake in Red Bank. "Hello."

"Bianna, the snow stopped!"

"I know. Isn't that great?"

"Daddy says there's another storming coming tonight, so you gotta get here fast!" Jake turned to listen to his father. "Oh. Daddy says to pack some cwose for a few days in case we get snowed in again."

Brianna smiled, both at Jake's enthusiasm and Jon's instructions. She would bet serious money that they were both hoping for another storm albeit for different reasons.

She needed to pack for both.

"I'll be there as fast as I can."



6 comments:

  1. wonderful chapter, ,now that they have the kids blessing they can act like boyfriend and girlfriend around everyone, their relationship is so new I think it's too soon for jon to meet her family yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love watching Jon try to be a single parent, and missing his girl at the same time. Really enjoyed this chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww loved this chapter :) Pleased they have the kids blessing now they can at last act like a couple around everyone :) Looking forward to the developments of your story :) Great job Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Finally!
    Now bring on another snow storm! Make it a week long Noreaster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This chapter took me back to that horrible winter we had - but in a good way. sounds like someone wants to play in the snow & in bed! looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good chapter. I'm glad they finally got the kids blessing. There were a few smiles here too. The fake gun, Jake calling and telling her to pack cwose...Too cute. You have the younger kids talk down well. Glad things are progressing. Thanks for this chapter.

    ReplyDelete