Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chapter 68


Sunday afternoon Brianna sat on her balcony sipping a glass of wine and contemplating the arrangement of a variety of lilies, lilacs and a single rust coloured sunflower that had been delivered a short time earlier. It was unique and pretty. Kind of demure with a dash of bold - kind of like her - and smelled heavenly. Where he'd been able to find lilacs at this time of year she couldn't imagine.  The card read simply 'I'm an asshole, I'm sorry' in his distinctive scrawl. As far as apology bouquets went, this one was pretty good.

He'd also left a couple voice mails, but she hadn't responded yet. She wasn't sure she was ready to let him off the hook that easily. She understood that he was going through a difficult time, but that didn't mean she should just accept being treated like a.....plaything. She deserved better.

So she avoided contact with him the rest of the day. Monday would be soon enough to deal with her love life - and her boss.



Jon was frustrated with the communications silence, but he wasn't angry at her. He had no one to blame but himself. He'd brought it on. But she couldn't ignore him forever. Tomorrow was a work day.....and he knew where to find her.



He stood in the doorway connecting their offices for a moment, reviewing his battle plan, before walking in to stand in front of her desk. "Hey."

Brianna glanced up from her computer, a raised eyebrow the only sign of her surprise at seeing him in the office. She had a feeling he hadn't come in to deal with work issues. That was okay, she'd half expected something like this. "Hey."

Noticing her white silk tank top, he couldn't resist. "It's supposed to rain today, you know." His grin was more than slightly on the lecherous side.

It took her a moment to figure out that he was referring to the day she'd gotten caught in a downpour wearing the same top and ended up wearing his shirt. Her lips twitched at the memory of him trying not to stare at her nipples revealed by the wet silk. But she wasn't ready to give in quite yet. She gestured to a duffle bag sitting beside her desk. "I learn from my mistakes."

Jon wasn't sure if that was a jab at him or not. "Meaning what?"

She ignored his defensive tone. "Meaning I brought a change of clothes just in case."

"Oh." He wasn't sure how, but he'd totally lost control of the conversation. He tried to get it back. "Did you get the flowers I sent? I wasn't sure when you didn't answer my calls."

"Yes, I got them. They're beautiful. Thank you."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Am I forgiven for being an asshole? I really didn't mean to ignore you,"

Brianna sighed and leaned back in her chair. "I don't think you're really ready for a relationship Jon." 

"Yes I am."

"I think you want to be, but you're not."

How the hell does she keep turning it back on me? "Don't tell me what I am and am not ready for!" Spinning away from her knowing look, he paced the room and raked his hand through his hair. "Maybe I should rethink this. You're driving me crazy already!"

Brianna, lips twitching again, simply shrugged.

Jon sighed and sat down in the chair across the desk from her. "Despite what you think, I am ready to move on. I'm just....out of practice."

"Are you sure that's all it is?"

He frowned. "What are you thinking?"

"Maybe it's me. That I'm your assistant I mean. Maybe you're having problems seeing me as anything more than your employee."

He considered her comment and had to admit she had a point. The women in his life had always been either work contacts or personal ones. There had never been any that were both. Not even Dorothea. "You may be right. I'm not used to a woman in my life crossing over between the professional and personal sides. I guess I haven't quite figured out how to deal with that."

Later, she would remember this conversation and have to acknowledge she'd been warned.

"I guess I'm going to have to work on that." He raised a brow and smiled at her.

She couldn't help but smile back. I have a feeling it would be in my best interest to build up a resistance to that smile!

"So, I was thinking that we should go out. On a date."

She eyed him warily. Her head was warning her to say no, to protect her heart, just cut her losses and forget pursuing any kind of a romantic relationship with him. But her heart insisted that she give him another chance. If it worked out, it would be worth it. "What did you have in mind?" It wasn't like they could just go to a movie - unless it was a premiere. He'd get swarmed.

"Why don't we start with dinner tonight and talk about it?"

"What about the kids?"

"Mom and Dad are feeding them tonight, so I'm free until they bring them back at bedtime."

"Okay,"

A knock on her door prevented either of them from saying any more. 

Evelyn entered with a stack of envelopes. "Sorry to interrupt. Brianna, here's today's mail."

"Thanks."

As Evelyn left, Paul came in. "Hi Jon. Evelyn told me you were here. How's everything going?"

While the men talked. Brianna opened mail and let their conversation wash over her. Where the hell can I go on a date with a Rockstar in mourning, where the vultures won't find us and start wild rumours? Without conscious thought, she placed the mail in two piles: invitations and correspondence.

When Paul left, Jon leaned on her desk. "Anything interesting?" Picking up the pile closest to him, he flipped through, scanning the invitations.

Before she could answer, her cell phone rang. She glanced at the display and frowned. The area code said it was New Jersey, but she didn't recognize the number. "Brianna Prentiss."

"Bri, you've got to help me!"

"Steph? What's wrong?"

Jon's head snapped up and his body tensed.

"Grandma says she wants to take me back to school shopping!"

"That sounds nice."

"Are you kidding? She’ll have me in frilly dresses and overalls and....pigtails! You've got to do something! Help me! Please!"

When Brianna's frown changed to a grin and she laughed, Jon relaxed and waited to see what was going on. He watched the expressions flitting across her face as she listened to his oldest child. The affection was obvious.

"She just wants to spend some time with you, and do something to help you."   Brianna assured her.

"Well, can't she take me to a movie or something? Does it have to be clothes?"

Brianna thought quickly. "Did she actually say clothes shopping or did she just say shopping to get you ready for school?"

Stephanie had to replay her grandmother's words in her head. "She just said she wanted to take me back-to-school shopping."

"Okay, so let her take you for your binders and stuff, so she feels included and helpful. You and I will shop for clothes."

"Oh thank you! Brianna you're the best! When can we go?"

"I'll talk to your Dad and find a day later this week." Brianna promised.

"Great! You go talk to him, I'll go talk to Grandma. See you later. Love you."

Brianna blinked, eyes suddenly burning. "Love you too sweetie." Hanging up, she looked up to find Jon watching her.

"Sucker."

"What?" She frowned.

"She suckered you into to taking her shopping. Mom won't take her to the places she likes, so she suckered you into it."

"Why do you think that would be a hardship for me? You've seen my wardrobe." She picked up the phone again.

"Who are you calling?" The glint in her eyes gave him a bad feeling his 'sucker' crack was going to hurt his bank account.

"I need to let Kenneth know we're coming. I want to make sure he has the full fall and winter line available."

Yep, he could hear his accountant crying already.

Hanging up with Kenneth, she refocused on Jon, a speculative look on her face.

"What?" He asked warily.

"How are Jake and Romeo set for clothes?"

His blank expression answered her question even more than his words. "Uhhh.....they have some."

Brianna snorted. "Do you want me to come out to the house and check what they need? Or will your mother do it?"

"Since my children don't have faith in their grandmother's taste in clothes, I guess you'd better do it." His stomach growled and he glanced at his watch. "Work day is done, let's go grab some dinner."

Brianna shoved the mail in her briefcase, grabbed her purse and joined him.


At the restaurant, while they were waiting for their food, she pulled a file out of her briefcase. Before she could open it, he reached over and put his hand on it, preventing her from opening it. "No."

"No?"

"No. This is a dinner date not a work dinner remember."

"Ah. Right. Sorry." She put the folder away with a smile, gave him her full attention and batted her eyelashes.

He laughed. "You're nuts."

Their conversation was a continuation of their late night chats in his living room. It was easy and open, like they'd known each other for years.

Back at her apartment building, they both greeted Sam, the night doorman, and took the elevator to her floor. Brianna turned her key in the lock, but Jon stopped her from opening the door with a hand on her arm, knowing if he stepped inside he wouldn't leave and he needed to get home.

His hands game up to frame her face and tilt it towards his. He stared down at her for a moment before his head dipped and his mouth took possession of hers. The kiss was deep and heady and they were both breathing heavily when it ended.

He stroked her cheek with his thumb. "Come out to the house tomorrow. You can check out the kids’ clothes and see what they need, and you and Steph can make your shopping plans." And maybe you and I can make some loving plans!

Brianna nodded and licked her tingling lips.

Jon groaned and bent to kiss her again. Tearing himself away, he smiled ruefully. "Temptress! Do you know how uncomfortable it is to drive with a hard-on?"

Her chuckle was more of a throaty purr - which didn't help his physical condition at all. "I could help you with that."

"Mmm hmm, but then I wouldn't get home until tomorrow and as much as I would like that, it wouldn't be fair to Mom."

"Or the kids." She agreed. She gave him another brief kiss, then pushed him gently away. "Goodnight. Thanks for dinner. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Nite." Blowing out a frustrated breath he turned and started for the elevator.

Brianna slipped inside her apartment, closing and locking the door while she still had the strength of will to let him go. Leaning against the door, a soft smile curved her lips. Maybe this might work out after all.


7 comments:

  1. OK, this,
    "Later, she would remember this conversation and have to acknowledge she'd been warned."
    Had me worried.....

    Bring on the shopping and loving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worries me too but I hope its not too big of a problem. every relationship has its ups & downs.
    I loved his response about the kids clothes - typical guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great chapter, can't wait to find out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Later, she would remember this conversation and have to acknowledge she'd been warned." makes me wonder what's going to happen next..... hopefully Jon and Bri will have some happiness in their developing relationship now. Shopping with Steph will be interesting for Bri too
    Great chapter again Liz :) Counting down the days till next Saturday already :) Looking forward to reading what will happen next

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was hoping for an extra chapter. Please don't make us wait until Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!!!...Looks like things are back on track......for now....lol...Nufin like a good rollercoaster ride...even the emotional kinda rollercoaster...Had a giggle at Steph not wanting Grandma take her clothes shopping....Poor girl.....Well at least shes found a way to get Bri back to the house....I can imagine her & Jesse concocting many lil plans to get Jon & Bri together....Luv your work Liz...awesome couple of chapters....Kinda sad Im all caught up again now.....lol

    ReplyDelete