Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chapter 36


"I don't know what you're talking about." They answered in unison, then shot each other a startled glance.

Dorothea snorted. "Yes you do. Look, I know that you both think I'm crazy and not thinking straight, but I assure you I'm completely sane. I know exactly what I'm suggesting." She eyed them both. "And don't try and tell me you're not the slightest bit attracted to each other, because I won't believe it. You're both healthy, attractive people, so it's only natural. And I know that when two such people spend a lot of time together, like you do, things.....can happen." She sighed. "Jon, you're a man and you have needs. I know better than anyone how strong your libido is. Denying it only makes feelings build up, resulting in bad side effects and stupid actions that hurt people we care about. Brianna, I know you don't want to do anything to hurt me or disrespect me - neither of you do. But as I've told you both, I'm okay with it. In fact, I encourage it. I give you my full blessing. Go forth and fornicate!"

"Dorothea!" Unison again. It would be impossible to say who was more shocked.

She snorted again. "You two need to get over it. We're all adults." And I need to know that my family is taken care of...in every way.

"You're crazy." Brianna shook her head. "I'm not listening to any more of this." She turned and left the room to start preparations for dinner.

Jon eyed his wife. "You're not really serious about this." It was almost a plea.

"Yes, I am."

He opened his mouth to argue, took one look at her face and thought better of it. He escaped to his office.


After dinner, when the kids and Dorothea were in bed, Jon and Brianna met up in the den as had become their habit. Jon handed her a glass of wine before sitting down. She grimaced, but accepted it. "Thanks."

He chuckled. "Think of it as a little hair of the dog."

"Mmmmm. Appetizing."

They sat and talked for an hour or two. About the kids' reaction to their gifts, what she could expect in Europe and places for her to visit in her off time, the Soul's season...everything except Dorothea's 'suggestion'. That topic, by unspoken, but mutual consent was off limits. “Oh, by the way, do you have the receipt for my kimono? It wasn’t in the bag.”

“Mmmm.” Jon sipped. “Probably. I’ll have a look through mine.”

“Thanks.”




It was an awkward few days, but with the distraction of the kids - and the fact Dorothea didn't bring up the subject again - they got past it and resumed their usual, comfortable relationship.

Jake's birthday party was a huge success. He got the Thomas the Train theme he wanted and enough toys to keep him busy at least until Christmas.....and his Uncle David came to visit.

"Hey man, what brings you out this way?" Jon greeted him.

"Lily had a gift for Jake....and I wanted to see Dot, if she's up for it."

"I think so. Come on in."

The women looked up as they walked into the living room.

"Hey Lemma!" Brianna smiled.

"Hey Beautiful! Had any sake lately?"

"Ha ha. Smartass." Standing, she headed for the kitchen to get some snacks.

"Unka Wemma!" Jake jumped up and ran to hug him.

"Hey buddy! Happy Birthday!"

David sat down on the couch close to Dorothea, set his hand on her knee and squeezed. "Hey, Dotty." He studied her face for a moment. "Hug?" He held out his arms.

She smiled and let him hug her. "Hi David."

"How are you feeling? And be honest."

"Tired, a little weak, but, all things considered, I'm doing as well as can be expected." She assured him.

"If there's anything I can ever do to help you, you'd better let me know!"

Dorothea smiled. "I will."

"Promise me Dot."

"I promise."

Brianna paused just outside the doorway and blinked back tears. There was a lot of pain coming for a lot of people. The loss of Dorothea was going to hit more than just her relatives. Her family included more than the ones she shared blood or legal ties with. So much pain. Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the room. "Anyone ready for a snack?"

She rested the tray she was carrying on the edge of the coffee table and transferred the plates onto the glass top. Stephanie had followed her with another tray and did the same. Jon went into the kitchen to help Jesse with the drinks.

David watched as food was passed around, noting that Jon and Brianna handed each other only their favourites and not the dishes the other didn’t like without having to ask. He glanced at Dorothea, but she didn't seem to notice. When they were finished, Jon helped Brianna and the older kids clear the table and carry everything into the kitchen. David took the opportunity confirm his suspicions. "Jon and Brianna seem to be very.....close."

Dorothea nodded. "They are. They're good together."

One masculine brow rose."Why do I get the feeling you're talking about more than just work? And that you're happy about it...maybe even encouraging it?"

She smiled. "I am. He needs someone like her."

David's eyes narrowed. "Strange sentiment from a wife. What are you up to Dotty?"

"Nothing sinister. Just doing what I've always done: taking care of my family. Taking care of business."

Comprehension dawned. Holy shit! "Do they know you're setting them up?"

"I may be dying David, but I haven't lost my mind."

"I'm not so sure. This has the potential to blow up in everyone's faces."

Dorothea reached out and patted his hand. "Trust me. I know what I'm doing."

I hope so. I have a bad feeling this isn't going to work out well.


A few days later, Brianna was going over Jon’s business expenses – and the household ones as well, at Dorothea’s request. Frowning at his Amex bill, she went through his receipts again, but it didn’t solve the problem The receipt from the clothing store in Japan didn’t make sense. It was almost double what it should have been. She’d figured out how much hers would be, although Jon hadn’t been able to find her receipt and it hadn’t shown up on her statement yet, so she knew approximately how much Jon’s should be.

She tracked Jon down in his office and showed him what she’d found. “They’ve charged you too much.”

Jon glanced at the receipt and waved it off. “Don’t worry about it. It’s fine.” He went back to his email.

“But….” She was confused. While not stingy, he usually liked his money accounted for – and he definitely didn’t like being ripped off. Suddenly, the pieces fell into place. “Jon….did you pay for my kimono?”

He refused to look at her. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Jon….did you?”

He shrugged.

“Why did you do that?”

“I said don’t worry about it. It was a gift.”

“But…”

“Leave it alone Bri.” He couldn’t explain it to himself, he sure as hell wasn’t going to try to explain it to her. It had just felt like the right thing to do.

Deciding that, based on his tone – and everything else going on with this family - she probably didn’t want to know, she dropped the subject.



All too soon they were boarding the plane for Germany. Brianna was both excited and nervous. She'd travelled to Europe before, but mostly saw the inside of meeting rooms and the restaurants and few sights that Alex had thought it was appropriate for her to see and be seen. This time looked to be more fun - not only from a work stand point, but Jon promised her time off to explore. She was also looking forward to seeing how a stadium tour worked from the inside. She'd brought low heeled shoes and sneakers to cope with the increased distances and terrain she would probably be faced with.

She sighed and looked out at the clouds outside the window beside her. She just hoped Dorothea stayed relatively stable. Her decline had been slow but steady over the past few months and Brianna prayed that no sudden and devastating change to that pattern happened when Jon was on the other side of the ocean. She had no idea how any of them would handle that.

Shaking her head, Brianna fought to dispel her dismal thoughts. They needed some good distractions. Maybe the guys could help with that.


The second show in Germany was on Brianna's birthday. She hated people making a fuss, so hadn't told anyone. Unfortunately for her, Dorothea did.

She was still sleeping when repeated knocking on her door roused her. Figuring it was someone from the organization, she was planning ways of committing murder and getting away with it as she trudged across the carpet. The sight of a hotel uniform in the peephole woke her up more fully and she instantly went on alert. Uh oh. What's wrong?

When she opened the door she saw the food cart. The room service attendant smiled. "Gut morgen Fräulein."

"Gut morgen. I'm sorry, I didn't order anything."

"This was ordered by your friends. Today is your birthday ja?" His blue eyes twinkled.

Brianna groaned. How did they find out? Lord only knew what the guys would do with that information. "Yes."  She stepped out of the way and allowed him to enter.  

He parked the cart near the table and waved her into the chair. "If you will have a seat, I will serve you."

"Oh, that's not necessary. Just leave it. I can serve myself."

"Bitte fräulein, let me. It's all part of the service."

"Okay." She sat and waited to see what he'd brought her. She was shocked when he shifted her chair to face him.

Reaching under the cloth covering the cart, he pushed a button and music began to play. Brianna recognized it instantly and her eyes grew round. It was stripper music!

Sure enough, he started to move and sway to the beat. Starting at his throat, he slowly undid one jacket button at a time until it was completely open. He turned slightly and shrugged the dark material off one shoulder, then shifted to the other side. When it fell to his wrists, he caught it, pulled his hands free and tossed it onto the bed. A gyration of his hips, and his hands started on his shirt buttons. In short order, the shirt followed the jacket.

Brianna sat in stunned disbelief and watched the blonde, well built Adonis slowly bare himself for her viewing pleasure - and it was a pleasure! All smooth, golden skin, flexing muscles and gyrating hips, he made her fingers itch for some dollar bills. By the time the tear away pants came off and he was down to a g-string, she was swaying to the music herself and was more than a little overheated.

And hungry.

And not for food.

As the song ended, he leaned down and kissed her softly. "Happy birthday liebshen."

"Danke."

While he dressed she dug into her purse for her wallet to tip him. He was definitely worth it!

But he stopped her. "No no, it's not necessary. Your friends have taken care of it."

"Well, thanks again."

She walked him to the door and watched him disappear down the hallway and into the elevator. Forcing her thoughts out of the gutter, she glanced around at the doors of the rooms nearby. "BEST GIFT EVER! THANK YOU!"

"You're welcome!" Came back at her from several directions.

Grinning, she turned to go back into her room to enjoy her breakfast.


She would be thankful for the happy memory when the bad news came.

8 comments:

  1. That last sentence sounds like the end is near for Dorothea. Please let Jon make it home in time if it is the end for his wife.
    Great writing as always, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would stop there you evil woman. Great Chapter you evil woman. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna, stop fighting, you're horny, you like him, he likes you and you've got a big green light. I understand that you don't want to make the same mistakes you made with Alex and screwing your married boss but in the words of D. "Go forth and fornicate!". At first I thought Dorothea was crazy to put another woman (younger and hotter) in her husband bed, but it starts to make sense.

    I've got mixed emotions about what's to come, I know she's got to die soon, and I know it's Bri and Jon's FF, but the more I read this story, the more I like your Dorothea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice birthday gift! How come none of my friends send me one of those?!?!
    And that last line made me re think my idea of asking for a bonus chapter. I am amazed Dorothea had lasted that long.
    I have a feeling that lots of heartbreak about to come. Time to go and buy more boxes of tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think I'll start preparations for the coming chapters as well...'Tissues, Coffee, Pop Corn...More tissues'...its comin isnt it... Im so glad Dave heard Dorotheas plan from her own mouth. I really like the way youve written Jon & Bri...Yeah they coulda jumped into bed weeks ago but they havent...they really are respectful of Dorothea...just not respecting her wishes.....yet!!!...I really want to plead for a bonus chapter..but..Im a lil worried what its gonna bring....great writing Liz..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would anyone need tissues, the sooner she dies, the better. That way Jon and Bri can be together and fuck. Isn't that what everyone is waiting for?

      Delete
    2. In real life no one would want him to have an affair while his wife is seriously sick or dying, John Edward's style.
      The cool thing about FFs is that if you don't like the plot or the new direction the story takes, you can stop reading. I understand that it can be disturbing, especially if it hits too close to home or if it hurts your moral values. Personally there were only 2 FF that bothered me so much that I had to stop reading after a few chapters, in one of them there were an almost incestuous relationship between Jon and his kind of half sister and Dorothea was painted as an abusive drug addict mother who abandoned her kids to be with her new guy. I guess most of the other readers weren't bothered and are still reading the story. I love this FF, it could have been a sex fest with or without Dorothea's blessing but it's not. It's been almost 10 months for us, probably a year or so for them and so far nothing happened.

      Delete
  6. Great story!! I absolutely love your writing. It brings out so many emotions.
    Looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete